Monday, August 6, 2007

Summer Days

The fabled dog days of summer are upon us. The rain has moved on leaving the area with much needed full lakes. The down side is that is it humid. Walk outside mid day and one feels as if one has walked into a sauna. It makes you want to move very slowly and gives a reason to the tradition of siestas.

I sit in my cool office looking out the window on my front lawn. Blue sky broken by fluffly white clouds; sunlight dappling through the leaves; leaves and branches gently swaying in the breeze; the sight belies the heat ... it looks so inviting, but I know that once outside I would be reduced to a soggy, wet, limp, lump straining foot step by foot step to get back inside to the artificially cool and dry air in my house.

The cats know better than to even venture out. They curl on pillows and chairs or stretch on the rug in sleep. Cat napping!! now that's the way to spend the dog days of summer!

No comments: