Wednesday, August 8, 2007

There is something about 30 years

Wow! I just got an invitation to attend the 30 year reunion of my high school graduating class. Talk about a blast from the past! Unfortunately, I can't attend. But it did get me thinking about how in ways that seems like yesterday and in other ways it is so very long ago.

Its a strange sort of melancholy. I'm happy where I am now, but miss some of the people from that time. Knowing what I know now, I would have made different choices and a greater effort to keep in touch.

It's also interesting that this 30 year mark is hitting in more ways than one. I have pots and pans that I got as a wedding present 30 years ago (for the first marriage that didn't last 2 years). Recently, the handle on one of the pans started to crack and last night, it cut my finger. So I guess it's time to get new ones. But at the time, I thought "this shouldn't be breaking ... it's not that old" and then I thought about how old it was and was amazed that it was 30 years old.

Not long ago, I was at an antique shop and came across some dishes that I still use (again from that first marriage). They are in blue willow pattern and I use them every day. So I'm a little peeved to know that they are now considered antiques/collectibles and cost much more to replace than I paid for originally. So am I supposed to quit using them? I could, I guess. I guess I could purchase an expensive set to use every day ... but then in 30 years those would probably be considered antiques/collectibles. I can't win!

No comments: