Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Memorial Day has always held special meaning for me. As I was growing up, I helped members of the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post decorate soldiers’ graves with small American Flags. Mimi, my grandmother, was a member of the VFW and often wrote the programs that were presented on Memorial Day. Memorial Day also meant selling Buddy Poppies to raise money to support veterans in the Big Spring VA hospital with necessities and other items. I remember the Gold Star mothers who we also honored each Memorial Day for the sacrifice they bore for our country. Mothers who had sons in the military hung a banner with a blue star on it. Gold Star mothers were mothers whose sons were killed in action. Their blue star banner was replaced with a gold star banner. Recollections, also, of old soldiers drinking their memories of war away in a dark, smoky bar at the VFW. I learned to do the Texas Two Step in the arm of one of those old soldiers. Yes, arm is correct, not a typo … he had left one on the battlefield in Europe.

This Memorial Day, I was moved to tears by articles in the Austin American Statesman. The companion articles, “Army of one: War calls soldier back” and “Back in military life, kinship is renewed” were about a local veteran who has served a tour in Afghanistan, returned home, started back to school and got on with his life only to have the Army call him back. Sgt. Johnny Meyer wants to be a journalist and the Statesman is giving him the opportunity to provide articles from his current tour in Iraq. The description of Sgt. Meyer getting notified and the acceptance he expressed were heart wrenching. His description of connecting with others who had been called back over drinks at a local bar made me sick to my stomach. We, as a nation, are creating veterans that will most likely also be alcoholics.

Also on my mind this Memorial Day is my niece. She is a beautiful blond girl with potential that she doesn’t even recognize. She is smart. She is funny. She is a wonderful and caring person. She is in the Navy. She is on her way to Bahrain.

It breaks my heart to think of the changes that war will make to our young citizens such as Sgt. Johnny Meyer and my niece. I pray that they will be kept safe knowing that they will be changed when they return home. Please let them return home alive.

No comments: