Saturday, May 5, 2007

Sewing innovation

Alternate titles for this posting Necessity the Mother of invention or another use for sticky notes. I had to do a bit of sewing today. I purchased a pair of knit shorts and as I was taking the tags off, I tore a little hole in the material ... right in front.

So I took out my sewing machine to fix it. Set it up on my desk. Dug through my sewing stuff and found thread that actually matched pretty close (lucky). Threaded the machine and then started to look at how to fix it. The hole was just below the elastic waist band which meant that it was not in a place that would lay flat to mend. What to do? I looked around the desk because I was contemplating using paperclips and a ruler to hold it straight when I noticed a pad of sticky notes. Hmmm ... I wonder ...

I took a sticky note and put it right under the hole which smoothed out the gather and made the material flat. Then it was a quick few zigzag stitches to fix and tada! It was mended. I pulled the sticky note off and figure that the paper that got stitched in will disintegrate the first time I wash the shorts.

No comments: