Tuesday, February 13, 2007

the wheel turns


Growing up in Lubbock, I was a sickly asthmatic child. As I grew older, I got stronger. But even as an adult there would be one or two late night runs to the emergency room because I could not breathe. After I married, my husband was there by my side, holding my hand, assuring me everything would be fine. Moving to Austin helped because the winters are milder here and there are fewer of the things to which I'm allergic. So the emergency room visits tapered off until there have been more than 10 years since the last one. Hurrah!!

Unfortunately, the longer we live in Austin, the more allergic my husband gets to the things here. And as he has aged, he can't fight off the effects as easily. For the past several years, instead of him driving me to the emergency room, I drive him. And instead of him holding my hand telling me everything will be fine, I hold his. I know what he is feeling which is both good and bad. I know that when you can’t catch your breath, nothing else matters. I know what it means when the doctor calmly looks at your blood oxygen saturation level and says "we'll give you a breathing treatment ... it will take about an hour." (the longer the treatment the worse the need). We are hoping that this year will be different and are taking care to see that this year there is no midnight run.

My husband … the word is the embodiment of the vows we took when we got married. "… in sickness and in health..." He supports me and I him. And the wheel turns.

1 comment:

gg said...

Very nice Schmalentine post; all about love and no mention of the "day." Well done, you!

I also wanted to let you know that the 2007 Photobloggies are underway with only 12 hours left. Here is the link to the bloggies site
and here is a link to globalthemes a new photoblog site that is in the running. . . . :0

gg