Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Detroit airport art

One of my favorite things when traveling is to see how the airports "dress" up or put on a show for the weary traveler. In Austin there are local art displays that are changed every few months, piped in local music and live local music in the evenings. In Atlanta, there are sculptures of giant ants on the ceiling over baggage claim.

On the road last week, I traveled through Detroit on my way to Windsor, Ontario. This is a picture I took with my cell phone of the tunnel connecting Terminal 2 with Terminal 1. It's a little hard to see. There are moving walk ways on either side of the tunnel (the blue and green area) that are flanked with undulating frosted glass that picks up the color. The pink/red area is the round atrium leading into the tunnel. The tunnel plays a light show in concert (pun intended!) with the new age-like music. Very relaxing. Very neat. Imagine getting off a 3 hour plane ride and schleping to baggage claim when you stumble on to this!

1 comment:

gg said...

Daisy - I am thrilled that you have started a blog! I love the travel piece. ;0