Friday, February 9, 2007

Pet Peeve

One of my pet peeves is the seemingly rampant misspellings and misuse of words. In the newspaper, in magazines, on TV commercials, on banners on buildings … everywhere I look, it seems as if people have forgotten how to use a dictionary or are heavily dependent on spell check programs.

1st case in point – a national pizza chain near our house has an advertising banner hanging on its building. The banner says “Now hiring drivers - $1 gas reinbursement”. There is no such word as reinbursement … it is reimbursement. I have to wonder how many people had a chance to review the sign before it was hung. I have to wonder even longer about a manager that would think it is ok because (and I am quoting him) “…most of the kids we hire don’t know what the word means”. Yes the sign is still there in spite of my pointing out the spelling error. Just because they don’t know what it means doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be spelled correctly! That way they could look it up and learn what it means.

2nd case in point – just last night, I saw a TV commercial for a famous brand of toothpaste. The product claimed to “protect cavities, gingivitis, plaque, stains, tartar buildup and sensitivity”. Not to protect against, mind you, but to “protect”. So, I’m left wondering … I thought toothpaste would protect my teeth AGAINST cavities, gingivitis, etc, not the other way around. I don’t think I want to use a product that protects some of the very things that I brush my teeth to avoid.

AARRGH!!!! It’s enough to make me want to pull my hair out. Is America becoming a nation of illiterates? Does anyone care anymore???

1 comment:

gg said...

Daisy,

Hahaha! This is why I will never write a book without a fabulous editor. The only other person I know that feels this strongly about grammar and spelling is my father. ;) Nicely written rant!

Goodie Girl