Monday, February 19, 2007

Protection by … the universe?

Since early 2001, I’ve ridden a Yamaha Vino scooter. This is my scooter, although, now there are many bumper stickers on it. I would have loved to buy and ride a Vespa, but, alas, too pricey for me. Vespa’s are the Harley’s of the scooter world. I don’t ride a Harley for the same reason.

When I took my Vino in last year for its annual physical (inspection, tune-up, etc.) there was this small motorcycle on the lot. It fit me just right, but was not a color that I could see myself riding. Nevertheless, I was so taken with it that I took a motorcycle safety course and got my “M” license. In Texas, you just have to take the written portion of the test to ride a scooter.

But then, for some reason I waited. Each time my husband and I would drive by the dealership, I would look for “my bike”. Sometimes it would be there and sometimes it wouldn’t, depending on whether they felt like rolling it out that day. I’d say “too bad it’s not a better color”.

A year went by and it was again time for the preventative maintenance on my scooter. When I dropped it off, the bike was still there and the price had dropped. I sat on it and visualized myself riding it. Over the next couple of days, I explored the pros and cons of buying the bike; and the cost of repainting it. When I went to pick up my scooter, I asked about it and was told that it had been sold that morning.

Amazingly, I don’t feel a great loss. I feel that karma or the universe saved me from myself.

No comments: