Sunday, July 15, 2007

Musings on a summer day

In 2001, when I was first working as a software consultant, I spent a lot of time in Phoenix. By a lot, I mean that for about 18 months, I spent more nights in Phoenix than I did in Austin. I had more alone time during that period than I have ever had in my entire life. So in the evenings or on airplanes, I often turned inward and reflected on who I was/am. I realized that I was not exactly who I wanted to be. To be truthful, I'm still not. But back then, I started thinking about how to become, more closely, who I wanted to be. I started on a campaign to define who I am as a person. I would say to myself "I am a person who _______." to reinforce the definition. I don't want to say change, because sometimes it would be reinforcement of a small little part of my personality or id. One that maybe needed nourishing in order to move myself closer to who/what, I want to be.

Some definitions from that time and where I am in making them happen (in no particular order):
  • I am a person who rides a scooter - I purchased my vino and rode it. Customized with bumper stickers that express who I am and what I believe.
  • I am a person who plays guitar - I purchased a cheap (<$80) guitar kit and signed up for classes at the local community college. I have on occasion carried a guitar with me on my business trips. It helps to keep me from working too much in the evenings. Although I'm practicing less and less as I am now a person who suffers with trigger thumb.
  • I am a person who takes time for myself - I could be better at this, still. I try to see a massage/Reiki master on a regular basis. I try not to work on the weekend. I take more sick time than I used to. If I'm sick, I take off work rather than working through it. Interestingly enough, I recover quicker ... go figure.
  • I am a person who is not as concerned with the dust in my home. This has been a big change for me. I'm not a neat freak or germ-a-phobe (although I have taken to wiping down my hotel room with disinfectant cleaner), but I used to get really uptight about the dust and fuzz, but now I'm much more relaxed about it. There are more important things in life.

No comments: