Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ethical Travel

I was going to do a wrap up blog entry about being back from Newark and I'll probably do that later, but then I read this article about ethical travel. It got me to thinking about traveling as a road warrior and how well I follow the precepts of ethical travel. Although most of the ethical traveler guidelines are directed at travel to other countries, some can easily be applied to travel within the US.

The concept of ethical travel is not a new one to me. Many of the things that ethical travel guidelines promote are ones that I’ve followed for years. One that I sometimes find hard to do is to seek out the local restaurants. After a long day at a job site, sometimes I really crave the familiarity that national chains offer. An Appleby’s is an Appleby’s no matter where it is; a Chili’s is a Chili’s; the food is much the same. But the dollars don’t stay there; they go to some conglomerate and a little trickles down.

Normally I am successful in pushing my self out of my comfort zone and have had some really good experiences. Like the wonderful veggie burger at a pub in Madison, WI. It was made with walnuts, local goat cheese, sunflower seeds, onions, garlic and other stuff. It was served just like a hamburger but was better than any burger I’ve ever had. Then there was the place in Canton, OH. It probably isn’t there anymore. Its name was something like The Universal Cajun. The décor was not at all what one would expect from a place in Canton … very cosmic and colorful … it would fit nicely on South Congress Ave in Austin. The food was Cajun and had the best gumbo I’ve ever had … even in New Orleans! It is a place that I wish I could visit weekly. But I digress. This week in Newark, I went to a diner and sat at the counter. The beef stew and salad was unremarkable. But, because I was sitting at the counter, I was entertained by the desert person. The wait staff would tell him what they needed and it was his job to plate it. By plate it, I mean not just cutting it and putting it on a plate, but also decorating the plate. In the time I was there, I saw him do a great many designs … never the same twice even if it was the same desert. The designs were very intricate and it was interesting to watch him work.

Seeking out local restaurants is a way of making a place stick in my mind. I don’t want to ever get to the point where a place I travel to is just another city. Each is different and I hope I can always see (and appreciate) that uniqueness.

One of the things that I find hardest to do when I’m on the road is caring for the environment. First in the list is, of course, the jet fuel expended in traveling. I’ve considered purchasing carbon offsets, but have not fully explored that yet. As for recycling, I’ve only stayed in one place (Windsor, Ontario) where the hotel actively promoted recycling with bins in the rooms. I carry a travel mug with me so that I can get coffee and other drinks without getting the disposable paper or plastic cup. I also decline maid service for the entire time I’m there. I don’t change the sheets every day when I’m at home so why should I get the sheets changed everyday when I’m staying at a hotel? I know those things are miniscule drops in the metaphorical bucket, but hopefully, every little bit helps.

I think it all comes down to respect. Respect for the people that live there; respect for the environment; and, respect for the local customs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saturday, I was invited by the local biker "gang" to go out riding. It was one of my first lengthy bike rides, and there is a certain amount of "rider etiquette" to follow. My only request was a helmit, which fortunately was conjured up out of a stash among the collective storage. The group met at a local diner, calling me several times throughout breakfast to get me out of bed and downtown before they departed.

We traversed down Chuckanut Drive alonside the coast overlooking the western bay. The day started with a crisp overcast sky which gathered clouds and caused our first stop in the tulip town of LaConner.

As the bikers grabbed coffee and soda to warm up, I drank a local brew and shared a smoke while they further educated me in the "laws".

No wiggling in the back seat, tilt head side to side when huddled closely or the driver's head is pushed forward. Leaders warn the pack with a "head's up" when law enforcement is approaching. Don't wave.... (apparently this right is reserved for the local "hogs"--another harley association, and lends a bit of mystery to the group.

As we traveled back to town alongside a mountain pass I was thinking of the motorcycle diaries-- an independent film that brings to attention the often desperate situations in mexico. I thought of the cost of my own car, the cost of the motorcycles and wondered if I should start to look more seriously at something of my own.

Will have to think more.

Daisy said...

Before buying a motorcycle, I suggest taking a motorcycle safety course that actually puts you on a motorcycle. I did that and it was very useful. PLUS in Texas if you take such a course, you only have to take the written portion of the test to get a Motorcycle license.

Sounds like you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Just the written test huh? Well, I wouldn't mind the extra instruction for driving. But I think they regulate bikes by the size of tires here. If I just get a moped, they aren't considered "motorcycles" and they don't require an extra permit. Even just a smaller car would do. Besides, it rains too much for bikes I think.... what would I do during winter?